Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sacrifices

I consulted with the radiation oncologist and my oncologist to determine whether I should receive radiation therapy for the met in my hip area. After weighing the pros and cons, I opted for the hour long treatment for 10 consecutive business days. The treatment required a simulation run and a dry run. During the simulation run, I received 6 small reference tattoos in order to be positioned on the radiation machine the same way each time. Getting these reference tattoos for consistent hip placement was much easier than getting a customized face mask locked down to keep my head still for the brain radiation. In some ways, hip radiation was a piece of cake compared to brain radiation. 

My dry run was scheduled a week before July 4th, but I had plans to go to Baltimore for my sweetheart's birthday. So I successfully asked to postpone the dry run until July 9th. I wanted to go on a road trip and celebrate the birthday of my amazing caregiver. It was the least I could do for someone who spends so much time and love taking care of me. I didn't think it was a big deal to suck up the pain for 2 weeks, but it was harder than I thought. I couldn't do it. I had to reschedule the dry run for this week, which means we would not be able to enjoy a long weekend away. I felt selfish. It's hard not to when a majority of decisions are made based on how I'm feeling. It's a struggle to remain selfless during such an inconvenient situation. I'm so thankful and lucky that my family and friends bear with me. 


                                                               Waiting at MSK



1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree with you on this one... you're being selfless by doing what you have to do to take care of yourself. Your friends and family want nothing more than to see you feeling better.

    ReplyDelete