Saturday, June 16, 2012

Immunotherapy


The second part of treatment was recieving only the trial drug for an indefinite amount of time or until disease progression. The goal of this drug is to boost the body's immune system to fight the cancer on it's own.

Check out a video and an article about this promising drug:

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/47660773

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/02/business/drug-helps-immune-system-fight-cancer.html

This immunotherapy drug had side effects, but generally not the harsh side effects of standard chemotherapy, so I was able to gradually regain some energy and strength. After what felt like house arrest for 4 months, my increased energy and strength translated to increased mobility. It was an incredibly liberating feeling. I didn't know how long this energetic state would last. So everyday I would make an effort to take walks (rain or shine), commute (anywhere!), go out for meals, watch a movie, go to friends' apartments, and just live life.

Before cancer, living life had a different meaning. It was about traveling, working hard, working out hard, socializing, swimming, and just picking up new hobbies. The rush that I had for these interests is the same rush I now have when I go out for a meal or ride the train. That doesn't mean I don't miss my old life. I want it back so bad. I'm fighting for it. But the truth is I don't know if and when I will ever be cancer-free.

As one quote puts it - Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

                                                          One of my blog spots

2 comments:

  1. That's a great quote and you are the best rain dancer I've ever known. I love you!

    ReplyDelete