Saturday, August 2, 2014

Flowers for Algernon

I had recently finished the book "Flowers for Algernon" which seems to be a classic school read. It was about a 32 year old man with a below average IQ who had an experiment performed on him to slowly transform him into a highly intellectual being. Unfortunately, the experiment appeared to only work temporarily and he started to lose his vast knowledge.

I had an almost similar experience. One afternoon, I suddenly felt numbness on my right hand and forearm, then the bottom half of my face, then my left hand. I can't remember this ever happening before. I rushed to urgent care, then started feeling dizzy and vomited. The neurologist asked simple questions that I was conscious of, but somehow wasn't able to answer them. All I could think of was Flowers for Algernon.

I was diagnosed with a seizure that most likely resulted from the tumor that was radiated earlier this year. I'm on an anti-seizure drug (Keppra) now indefinitely, but I'm so glad that to have regained my focus.


 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to read about this latest development. It sounds like it must have been terrifying. I hope the Keppra will keep things under control.

    Do you know about the new Young Lung study? It focuses on figuring out why young non-smokers are getting lung cancer, and how to get the right treatments to us. There is no travel involved, and it is easy to enroll. I signed up, and I am very excited to see what they discover. You can find out more here. https://www.openmednet.org/site/alcmi-goyl

    I really hope things re-stabilize for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tori. Things seem to be stable with Keppra. The study seems interesting. I'll sign up. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a really superb information. Thanks for sharing..!!
    Keep sharing useful information..!! I'm waiting for other information..!!
    cheap massage dubai
    dubai best massage
    massage service in dubai
    best massage in dubai
    dubai massage


    ReplyDelete